The Mindful Movement for Physical Activity (MMPA) Program
An eight-week, research-tested mindful physical activity educational program
- Wellness programs for senior communities, workplace, and group therapies
- Training of facilitators
- Mindfulness Apps
Key Benefits & Differentiators
- Research-based educational program: rigorously developed as part of a large-scale clinical trial funded by the NIH targeted specifically to physical activity
- Facilitator training guide: includes a guide with detailed information for online and in-person implementation of the program
- Video and audio modules support effective training
- Designed to motivate people to start and stick to exercise habit.
Research-tested educational program for mindful physical activity
Research shows that physical activity is an important factor to keep overall health. However, though most people intend to do some physical activity, their effort is often hindered by challenges related to the interaction between our body and mind. Examples of such challenges include perception of lack of time, a skewed perception that working out is hard and requires significant effort. These challenges can be overcome by learning mindfulness, which entails paying attention to the present moment without judgment. Mindful physical activity is likely to motivate more people to exercise and can increase exercise frequency.
Researchers at the University of Minnesota have developed an eight-week educational program called Mindful Movement for Physical Activity (MMPA). This program was rigorously developed as part of a large-scale clinical trial funded by the National Institute of Health (NIH) targeted specifically to promote physical activity. This research-tested program is designed to decrease frustrations related to exercising among participants and increase their level of engagement and commitment to the program goals. The MMPA program can be implemented online or in-person. This mindful exercise program includes learning objectives and a summary of the content for each of the course sessions, video and audio modules, program workbook, and a facilitator training guide.
Phase of DevelopmentTRL: 8-9
The MMPA program is complete and is ready for download..
Desired PartnershipsThis technology is now available for license. Interested non-profit organizations please contact us to learn more.
- Roni Evans, DC, MS, PhD Associate Professor, Center for Spirituality and Healing
- Jean Haley, MLS, MS, MSW, LICSW MBSR Instructor, Center for Spirituality and Healing
- Alex Haley, JD, MBA Assistant Professor, Integrative Health and Wellbeing Research Program
- Douglas Kennedy, PhD Assistant Professor,Integrative Health and Wellbeing Research Program
swap_vertical_circlecloud_downloadSupporting documents (0)Additional files may be available once you've completed the transaction for this product. If you've already done so, please log into your account and visit My account / Downloads section to view them.