Patient Controlled Dynamic Therapeutic Compression Tension Garment
Provides dynamic compression for therapeutic relief
A new design for a shape memory alloy compression garment (SMA-CG) provides dynamic compression for therapeutic relief. The garment features nickel titanium (NiTi) alloy SMA spring actuators that provide compressive force when electrical power is applied. A novel tension limiting switch gives patients independent control of compression and offers hands-free power switching for constant tension/pressure. The easy-to-adjust garment, currently modeled as separate calf and thigh garments, features a three-layer system with an inner layer that protects the leg from heat and distributes force circumferentially.
Closed-loop sensing for continuous monitoring
Medical compression garments used to treat lymphatic disorders or conditions of poor venous return (e.g. orthostatic intolerance) may offer relief of these conditions but are limited in usability (e.g., they are uncomfortable, difficult to put on and take off, and may need tethering to an inflation source). A closed-loop sensing system is needed for such compression/tension systems in order to both monitor and regulate the values produced by the system. The unique feedback mechanism of the tension switches consumes no electrical power: it instead uses the mechanical properties of its material. Not only does this design consume fewer resources, but it requires less constant human intervention.
Phase of Development
- Prototype developed and tested.
- Dynamic compression for therapeutic relief
- Less constant human intervention required
- Feedback mechanism does not consume electric power
- Shape memory alloy compression garment (SMA-CG)
- Nickel titanium (NiTi) alloy SMA spring actuators
- Novel tension limiting switch
- Closed-loop sensing system
- Separate, adjustable calf and thigh garments; easy to wear outside of clinical environments
- Medical compression garments (e.g., orthostatic intolerance, etc.)
- Active compression garments
- Cardiovascular, lymphatic, and anxiety disorders
- Torso, shoulder, arm, and leg garments
- In-home use, outside of clinical environments
|Interested in Licensing?|
|The University relies on industry partners to scale up technologies for commercial purposes. The license is available for this technology and would be for the sale, manufacture or use of products claimed by the issued patents. Please contact us to share your business needs and technical interest in this technology and if you are interested in licensing the technology for further research and development.|
swap_vertical_circlecloud_downloadSupporting documents (0)Additional files may be available once you've completed the transaction for this product. If you've already done so, please log into your account and visit My account / Downloads section to view them.