Minnesota Assessment of Pharmacogenomic Literacy (MAPL™)
A questionnaire to assess pharmacogenomic knowledge among patients in research studies or clinical care.
Pharmacogenomic (PGx) testing is increasingly entering mainstream clinical practice and is of great interest to patients and providers. Research in disease risk genomics indicates that individuals with greater genomic knowledge are better equipped to make informed decisions about obtaining genetic testing, understanding the results, and taking appropriate action based upon the findings. However, studies examining components of PGx knowledge in patients have consistently identified areas of potential confusion or concern, and no PGx-specific validated literacy assessment has yet been developed.
In order to address this need, researchers at the University of Minnesota have developed the Minnesota Assessment of Pharmacogenomic Literacy (MAPL) assessment. MAPL is a validated questionnaire composed of 13 questions designed to assess the PGx knowledge of patients in four domains: underlying concepts, limitations, benefits, and privacy. Thus, MAPL represents a useful tool for clinical and research settings where quantitative assessment of PGx literacy is of value.
- Jeffrey Bishop, PharmD, MS, BCPP, FCCP Associate Professor, Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology (ECP)
- Amy Pittenger, PharmD, MS, PhD, Department Head, and Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Care & Health Systems
- Josiah Allen, PharmD, Pharmacogenomics Pharmacist
- Catherine A. McCarty--Department of Family Medicine and Biobehavioral Health, Medical School, University of Minnesota
- Pamala A. Jacobson--Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota
- Alyssa N. K. Johnson--Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota
- Lusi Zhang--Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota
- Allen, J.D., Zhang, L., Johnson, A.N., Jacobson, P.A., McCarty, C.A., Pittenger, A.L. and Bishop, J.R. (2022), Development and Validation of the Minnesota Assessment of Pharmacogenomic Literacy (MAPL), Journal of Personalized Medicine
swap_vertical_circlecloud_downloadSupporting documents (0)Additional files may be available once you've completed the transaction for this product. If you've already done so, please log into your account and visit My account / Downloads section to view them.