Heart’s Desire™ Brand Redbud Spring Flowering Tree
Hardy landscaping tree with stunning spring blooms
Heart’s Desire™ brand redbud trees (Cercis canadensis UMN7101) are small flowering trees developed for residential or commercial landscaping. The UMN7101 tree originated as an open-pollinated seedling of unknown origin growing at the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. For more than 40 years now, this time-tested, exceptionally hardy tree has welcomed spring with a stunning profusion of lavender pink blooms. The rounded, spreading tree is cold hardy through USDA Zone 4 and grows 15-20 feet tall and 20-30 feet wide. It features medium green summer foliage that changes to yellow in the fall. The pale magenta to light purple, pea-like flowers grow in clusters, and the tree produces 2 to 4-inch brownish-gray pods.
Exceptional cold tolerance
Heart’s Desire™ brand redbud trees are cold hardy through USDA Zone 4 and exhibit superior cold tolerance to other genotypes in this species. This cold tolerant Cercis canadensis landscape tree provides attractive flowers, foliage and bark characteristics typical for the species. Its exceptional cold tolerance allows it to be grown in cold climates where less cold-tolerant Cercis genotypes are typically damaged or killed by cold temperatures.
Phase of Development
- Cercis canadensis UMN7101 has been successfully clonally propagated and has been in propagation and performance trials by a commercial nursery for several years.
- Superior cold tolerance
- Stunning springtime lavender pink blooms
- Cercis canadensis specimen
- Small, flowering landscape tree
- Grows 15-20 feet tall and 20-30 feet wide
- Medium green summer foliage changes to yellow in fall
- Cold hardy through USDA Zone 4
- Landscape plants
- Residential or commercial landscaping
- Flowering trees
Ready for Licensing
This technology is now available for license! The University is excited to partner with industry to see this innovation reach its potential. Please contact us to share your business needs and licensing interests in this technology.