Coventor Emergency Ventilator - Adult Manual Resuscitator Compressor
A design package for an emergency, rapid-deployment ventilator system.
- Mechanical ventilation or assisted ventilation
Researchers at the University of Minnesota have designed Coventor - a simple, low-cost mechanical ventilator system that can potentially be used to solve ventilator shortages in hospitals and make-shift clinics. Coventor is a device that repurposes the Bag Valve Mask manual resuscitator (“Ambu bags”), which are commonly used by paramedics and emergency medicine specialists in ICUs and ambulances. This mechanical ventilator consists of a mechanism that can continuously compress and release a reservoir bag, and a control system to adjust the respiratory rate and limit the pressure of air pushed into patients.
Designed by an anesthesiologist and engineers, this design represents a realistic approach to rapidly build life-sustaining mechanical ventilation to patients in need. The design specifications package of this is now available for download at no cost.
Key Benefits & Differentiators
- Simple parts and manufacturing process; the frame can be metal-stamped or injection molded
- Although most patients will require oxygen, the device itself does not require pressurized oxygen or air supply to function; uses available manual resuscitator bags
- Compact tabletop (or desktop) size; ideal for make-shift clinics
- Easy to use for ICU-trained medical professionals
- Low cost and scalable design
Phase of Development
- FDA Emergency Use Authorization received April 14, 2020.
- Design files ready for distribution.
Please visit Coventor website for more information.
Ready for Licensing
The design files of this device are now available for download at no cost.
swap_vertical_circlecloud_downloadDownloads (1)*Coventor - 2020-295 - Download Instruction.txtsize: 97 B, type: text/plainFiles marked with an asterix (*) can only be downloaded by users that have the appropriate product license. The license must be active and you must be logged into your account.