Prevents touch contamination
This technology is a new peritoneal dialysis (PD) connection interface that simplifies the process of connecting and disconnecting a peritoneal dialysis cycler or solution bag. It is expected to reduce rates of PD-associated peritonitis. The technology features a redesigned transfer set and transfer set caps. The patient inserts a capped transfer set and capped disposable tubing (patient line) into corresponding entry ports at either side of an enclosure, where an embedded magnet uncaps both the transfer set and the patient line. Once both caps are removed, the patient can slide the tubes further in until the two connect magnetically, allowing flow of dialysis fluid to begin.
Easier and safer connection of peritoneal catheters
Peritonitis poses a serious risk for peritoneal dialysis (PD) patients. Touch contamination of the peritoneal tubing is to blame in nearly one-third of peritonitis cases. Current devices and aseptic methods require thorough hand washing, several steps and very careful handling of the transfer set and caps. These steps can be complicated and overwhelming for patients, especially frail, arthritic, disabled, distracted or visually impaired patients. This new device is a connection interface that eliminates the risk of touch contamination. It reduces the number of steps to connect and disconnect from their cycler or solution bags.
Phase of Development
- Prototypes developed and tested.
- May reduce peritonitis risk
- Eliminates possibility of touch contamination
- Simplifies the process of connecting and disconnecting tubing
- Peritoneal dialysis (PD) connection interface device
- Magnetic transfer set caps and disposable tubing (patient line)
- Unique enclosure magnetically uncaps transfer set and disposable tubing
- Reduces the number of steps and time needed to connect and disconnect
- Self-sterilizing and error-proof
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Assist devices for peritoneal dialysis patients
- Peritonitis prevention
|Interested in Licensing?|
|The University relies on industry partners to further develop and ultimately commercialize this technology. The license is for the sale, manufacture or use of products claimed by the patents. Please contact Kevin Nickels to share your business needs and licensing and technical interests in this technology.|