Assessment of Non-invasive Brain Stimulation Adverse Effects
A newly-developed assessment tool designed by pediatric neuroscientists and physicians allows practitioners of pediatric non-invasive brain stimulation to anticipate and address potential issues from adverse events. The assessment helps investigators assess and manage any adverse effects from non-invasive brain stimulation – and possibly helps prevent them from occurring in the first place. In addition, the tool provides critical information for managing seizures.
Non-invasive Brain Stimulation Assessment
The assessment is comprised of five documents:
- tDCS Risk Mitigation and TMS Risk Mitigation, used for both minor and serious adverse event management
- Participant Report of Symptoms, which assesses patient status
- Seizure Management Guidelines and Seizure Observation Record, which guide investigators during the event of seizure.
BENEFITS AND FEATURES OF PEDIATRIC NON-INVASIVE BRAIN STIMULATION ASSESSMENT:
- Provides important training
- Enhances the child’s experience
- May prevent some of the known adverse effects
- Guides staff in assessing and managing adverse effects
- Delivers critical information for managing seizures
- Introduces a valuable resource on the feasibility and safety of pediatric non-invasive brain stimulation clinical trials
Phase of Development - Pilot Scale Demonstration. License available for using assessment tool.