Computational Fluid Dynamics Aerodynamic Model
The US3D software models high-speed aerodynamics and aerodynamic heating problems and is faster, more accurate, general, scalable and flexible than any other existing computational fluid dynamics code. The scalability of the program means it is able to solve very large problems on parallel computers in a cost-effective manner. The use of an unstructured grid allows the software to solve a wider range of time-dependent problems and makes it more applicable to more complicated geometries than the structured grid formulation used in the NASA DPLR code.
The Department of Defense Research license is intended for companies who have a contract or subcontract with the Department of Defense. Please complete and submit the license application if you are interested in licensing the US3D software. If the application is approved you will be given an authorization code to validate the license.
Highly Scalable and Efficient Aerodynamics Simulation
Simulating heat flows in aerodynamic applications is of critical importance in both supersonic flight and planetary entry for spacecraft. These applications are critical for the safety of the pilots and while experimental testing of materials is essential, it is expensive and difficult to reproduce the conditions of spacecraft reentry. Aerodynamic and aerothermodynamic simulation software, such as US3D, is key to preparing aircraft and spacecraft for all eventualities.
BENEFITS OF COMPUTATIONAL AERODYNAMICS SIMULATION USING THE US3D SOFTWARE PACKAGE:
- The US3D code is more accurate, general, scalable, flexible and faster than any other existing computational fluid dynamics code.
- The code uses an unstructured grid, allowing for a wider range of time-dependent problems to be solved.
- The key feature of the US3D code is that it is highly scalable and efficient, making it possible to solve very large problems on parallel computers in a cost-effective manner.
US3D Licensing Details
The US3D Department of Defense Contractor Research License has these features and restrictions:
- The Licensee will receive the US3D source code.
- The license is non-exclusive and does not allow the software to be distributed.
- The term of the license is one year from the date the license is executed online.
- The copyright remains with the University of Minnesota.
- The University of Minnesota asks that the Licensee share modifications with the University. The University may share the modifications with other licensees.
- The software may only be used by a Department of Defense contractor or subcontractor for research on a DoD contract.