Affordable Heart Simulator Model for Students
The Beating Heart Simulator Kit Aids Study of Heart Arrhythmias
The Beating Heart Simulator Kit was designed for medical students studying the evaluation and diagnosis of heart arrhythmias. The heart model provides a comprehensive learning environment by utilizing multiple forms of stimuli while maintaining an affordable price for students. The affordable price allows for broader distribution and can increase learning by providing students with their own ?take home? model. Providing the student with multiple types of sensory input enhances memory retention. The Beating Heart Simulator Kit can facilitate understanding of cardiac physiology by providing a palpable beating heart that accompanies EKG tracings for common arrhythmias. The heart model could be expanded to be used as a teaching aid in K-12 classrooms or to aid patient understanding in clinical settings. With further development, doctors could use the heart simulator models for an objective re-creation of the electrocardiogram reading for better diagnosis of arrhythmias.
Graphical User Interface Presents Electrocardiogram Data
The Beating Heart Simulator Kit utilizes an intuitive graphical user interface and a physical heart model, which work together to enhance the user's experience. The computer provides visual and auditory feedback while tactile information is simultaneously fed to the user through the heart model connected to the computer. The graphical interface provides stimuli in the form of an electrocardiogram graph that is produced from actual recorded patient data. The contractions of the heart model are correlated with the electrocardiogram data on the computer screen. The user can select from a list of arrhythmias and observe the corresponding electrocardiogram plots. Previous heart simulator models employed a comprehensive computer model, but were inaccessible for students because of their expensive price.
FEATURES OF BEATING HEART SIMULATOR
- Affordable - first model that provides a comprehensive learning environment while maintaining a reasonable price. The price is affordable enough so that each student could purchase a beating heart model.
- Multiple forms of stimuli - visual, auditory, and tactile stimuli are presented to shorten the time required to learn material and also increase the amount of information that can be recalled.
- Enhances learning - students can study the heart model contractions and electrocardiograms on their own time.
- Correlates palpable beating heart with electrocardiogram data - recorded patient data is used to provide the user with accurate information and data.
- Data for a variety of arrhythmias - allows the user to choose from a list of arrhythmias, observe the corresponding electrocardiogram plots, and learn to recognize the differences of conditions.