Reading Assessment Progress Monitoring
The Computer Based Assessment System for Reading (CBAS-R) software program provides educators with a formative assessment than includes screening, progress monitoring, and skills analysis to be used in the classroom. The reading assessment software dynamically formulates individualized reading assessments for students with a kindergarten to fifth grade skill level. Computer adaptive testing is more efficient than traditional testing methods because it only exposes the test taker to questions within their skill level. The assessments build upon a test taker's previous answers, bracketing their ability level, and adapting future questions to the student's capability. These computer based tests serve all students, but are tailored to meet the needs of students who are at risk for reading difficulties, are receiving supplemental services, and have an Individualized Education Plan.
Skills Analysis, Screening, and Progress Monitoring
The Computer Based Assessment System for Reading is a skills analysis tool that focuses on the five domains of reading:
- Concepts of print
- Phonological skills
The analysis provides domain specific assessments of subject defined skills to precisely and efficiently identify a student's overall achievement level. The Computer Based Assessment System for Reading can be utilized by schools three to four times a year as a screening tool and can be used on a semi-weekly or weekly basis as a formative progress monitoring tool. The program uses an online interface to administer, score, and display the measurement of a student's knowledge and ability. Educators are able to assess students on a continuous metric from kindergarten through fifth grade. The continuous evaluation methodology allows the student's skills to be evaluated relative to other grade levels, this standard for evaluation tracking and comparison is not currently provided by traditional assessments. Reading is a critical skill that enables overall academic success. The Computer Based Assessment System for Reading demonstrates new adaptive approaches to improve screening, progress monitoring, and skill analysis methodologies. The reading assessments also provide direct feedback to improve student learning.
FEATURES OF COMPUTER BASED TESTS FOR READING SKILLS
- Adaptive - the assessment dynamically individualizes evaluations for each student.
- Faster Assessments - 6-10 minutes for computer based tests, 1-4 hours for traditional methods
- Faster Results - the online interface scores and displays results more quickly than manual grading.
- Computer based assessment platform can be expanded to other subjects - math, science, etc.
- Less expensive than traditional testing and monitoring methods - only cost is the software, traditional methods must manually administer and evaluate tests.
- Trackable - online interface is used to administer, score, and display data used by educators. A student's progress and achievement level can be tracked through the online interface.